Sunday, June 17, 2018

"Party Animal" with Kira

Hey crafty friends!  It's Kira and I am back with a 12x12 scrapbook layout with all the tropical feels!  Did you see this adorable toucan that was released on May 31st from The Cut Shoppe?!  The second I saw him, I knew he was going to go on one of my scrapbook layouts. 


The picture I chose to scrap is sort of far fetched in the connection to the toucan...but bear with me here.  When we moved into our house back in November, my husband and I were being woken up almost daily but this loud hooting owl at around 2-3am.  We had never had an owl live in such close proximity to us, so instead of being irritated, we were actually kind of intrigued!  So I search the internet trying to figure out what kind of owl it might be.  And based on the sound of the hoots (the owl call? I'm not sure what you'd call them!) we figured it was a Great Horned Owl.



Fast forward to May, no more hooting, the owl must have moved, right?  Maybe not!  While playing with my kids outside, I came across this large brown and white striped feather.  I thought at first maybe a hawk?  But the internet is super helpful when trying to identify birds, and it looks like it is possibly a feather from a Great Horned Owl!  Cool, right?!



Back to the layout, I wanted to scrap this story of our very own resident owl and thought this toucan would be such a cute touch!  I sized him to about 8.5" tall, backed him with papers from Confetti Wishes and stitched around him with coordinating embroidery floss.



I originally attempted to watercolor the branches/leaves, but was unsuccessful so I just cut them off, and re-cut the branches on some smooth white cardstock and sized them even bigger than they were originally.   Since I was used a patterned paper background, I opted to keep them white so they would really pop off the page.



Since I was using the Confetti Wishes collection, and it has sort of a birthday party theme, I decided to play off of that for my title.  "Party Animal" seemed fitting since it reminded me of the owl that is awake at all hours of the night and morning.  To really play off the party animal theme, I added a little party hat to my toucan and a balloon sticker right behind my title.



And that's it!  Thank you so much for stopping by!cx



xo, Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment